Reporting To: Health & Safety Manager
Do you have high integrity and strong work ethic? We are seeking a talented Health & Safety Specialist to perform both a strategic and hands-on position by providing guidance and Health and Safety Program support to the Health and Safety Team and Toromont Cat operations. The Health and Safety Specialist will help drive a positive safety culture and manage our Health and Safety Management System, in accordance with Federal and Provincial Legislation with a focus on best practices while executing day to day responsibilities, project work and participation in decision-making within the Health and Safety team.
This position will be placed in one of our Northern Ontario Branches with a Regional focus supporting specific Northern and Remote Branch Locations.
- Model the way for safe, environmentally sound and healthy work behaviours in support of Toromont’s Health and Safety Policies, programs and initiatives resulting in achieving or exceeding safety performance objectives
- Contribute to the development and application of preventive programs, health and safety programs and OHS action plans in collaboration with the Health and Safety team
- Participate in the development and/or revision of policies and necessary procedures to manage the Safety Management System
- Provide direction and support to operations, particularly Supervisors, as they execute their safety obligations including responding to inquiries, providing instruction and training and/or working with Operational Leaders to provide them with skills to be more effective
- Support and execute incident reporting, claims management and Return to Work Programs to effectively manage claim costs and workers compensation board obligations
- Administer the Inspection and Audit Programs, proceed with regular and random field and site audits and ensure appropriate follow-up on any findings or deficiencies
- Lead the development of key Safety Programs as needed by devising requirements and policies, identifying training requirements, and ensuring proper processes and procedures are in place for successful execution
- Collaborate with the Health and Safety Committees to develop their skills for more effectiveness in their daily responsibilities
- Source and develop OHS Training Programs, co-ordinate and execute delivery to organization in support of our Safety Training Matrix as needed
- Participate and support in investigations/accident analysis and recommend corrective measures
- Assist in determining key OHS performance indicators and support the operations with achieving our key safety targets and business plan objectives on an ongoing basis
- Identify and analyze OHS trends for opportunities to implement improvements
- Mitigate or respond to key information in a positive, proactive and effective manner
Toromont Cat is an equal opportunity employer who recognizes and values diversity. Upon request, Toromont is committed to accommodating employees with disabilities.